[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Java / Java on the Mac in January / JavaScript

At 6:36 PM 12/1/95, Andrew Moreno wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, John C. Mallery wrote:
>
>> The level of hype never ceases to amaze me.
>>
>> In any event,  we should use Java as a browser assembly language and synthesize
>> the Java from Lisp, just as we do for HTML.
>>
>> Who volunteers to take the first pass at the lisp->java runtime interpreter/compiler for CL-HTTP?
>
>Hi,
>
>Personally, I haven't seen either. I was wondering if Lisp or Scheme can do
>the things Java can do? It's no small feat to build a new language even if
>Gosling has done it. Maybe Lisp is better suited to certain applications?

Or maybe more limited language are only suited to more limited applications.

>I'm a novice at programming Lisp so please excuse my questions.

Have a look at some of the lisp pointers on the references page for the server.
They can take you through much of the history and issues.

At least, Java is not Perl.

>One of the things I'm programming in Lisp is an agent that can work like
>Eliza and store like Boris Katz's START system. Would Katz's START system
>be workable through Java like it is through CL-HTTP? (Assuming you have
>tried the START system.)

Yea, I have written my own natural language system. See my home page. No chance
that it will be rewritten in Java.  Here, we are looking forward for major qualitative
advances in technology.  That means, programming environments better than the Lisp
machine -- and that is 1980 technology. Most of what everyone else is using is 1960s
technology. We are only four years from the twenty first century.

I guess one can say that Java gives garbage collection to the masses. But,
it is hard enough to program sophisticated applications in Lisp.  Current java is many steps
backward from lisp or scheme.

the useful thing about it is that you can tell the client what to do.  A Scheme or Lisp
plug-in to Netscape on all platforms would be a better target, but you work with what
everyone has got.