[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

MacTCP / CL-HTTP coding secrets?

Hello fellow CL-HTTP developers --

We're running into nasty hangs under our CL-HTTP. We've got a CGI method that
uses TCP to make a number of calls to another server (the KSL Ontology Server).
Occasionally, the machine will totally freeze up. Macsbug a6 trace says we're
way down in VSync routines (ack!). I think it's a TCP problem, but that
(subjective) opinion is based only on my experience with other apps that have
had MacTCP problems and similar "total freeze" hangs.

Are there any special considerations to know about when opening TCP streams with
CL-HTTP running? Is there a maximum number of open streams, or speed with which
they can be opened and closed? For example, we map across list of > 300 elements
and do a TCP call on each one: does that sound problematic?

It's quite possible the error lies in our code or other code: the CGI is
triggered from a web client running a Java applet (both beta). The Java applets
were compiled on a Sun, but we're serving them from the Mac CL-HTTP server.

We're running CL-HTTP 53-7 in MCL 3.0p2; Mac is a 40 meg 7100/66 under System
7.5 (not 7.5.1) with MacTCP 2.0.6.

Ramon M. Felciano
Section on Medical Informatics
Stanford University