[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Can not access any CL-HTTP server from MacMosaic

I was playing with different Mac-based browsers trying to imagine what
non-Netscape users see when working with our ELM-ART system (it is an ITS
for teaching LISP located on a CL-HTTP server). The most surprizing thing
is that I can not access our server from MacMosaic at all. Mosaic reports
"reading xxx bytes" and then immediately "Data Transfer Complete". However
nothing is loaded.
I have tried both 2.00 and 2.01 versions of MacMosaic and all CL-HTTP
servers listed on CL-HTTP home page in the section 4. Selected Application
(ELM-ART is also listed there).

No difference. MacMosaic can not access any CL-HTTP server worldwide. (But
from Netscape and MacWeb it is OK). Does anybody have the same problem?

Well, according to the last CACM article, less then 5% of webbers use
Mosaic and probably less then 1% MacMosaic. But it would be still nice to
understand what is happens.

Some more data: generally, MacMosaic can access a CL-HTTP server - if a
wrong URL is provided. Then it generates a proper "Not found" reply. But if
the URL is correct - it returns nothing. Moreover, playing with MacMosaic
and trying to get any reply from our server, I have ended crashing the
server (and I was working on different Mac).

If we can not fix this problem, the only solution seems to be to add a
protection notice at the main gate ELM-ART to protect (Mac)Mosaic users
from accessing it, wasting their time and crashing our server.

Dr. Peter Brusilovsky   <plb@cogpsy.uni-trier.de>
Division of Cognitive Psychology,
FB I-Psychologie, Universitaet Trier, D-54286 Trier, Germany.
fax: +49 651 201-2955; phone: +49 651 201-2976
http://www.psychologie.uni-trier.de:8000/people/PBrusilovsky.html