[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

9500 crashes (still going)

I'm running cl-http on a 9500 with all the latest patches and fixes,
etc.  I haven't tried the experimental mactcp interface, other than
that I believe I've tried everything.

Each fix whittles away a little bit at my problems.  I think it's
been narrowed down to one or two things.  Still, my machine rarely
stays up for more than a day, and never more than two days.  The load
is still pretty light.

By installing and playing around with the preallocation "patch" I
eliminated the most frequent crash type as reported by macsbug.

The crashes I get now are characterized by a bad heap, in response to
the ht and hc commands in macsbug I get something like:

>The Rclassic-httpdS heap at 020FCB6C is bad
>  Block length is bad
> Block header
>  021246C4  0A3C 4C49 3E41 5254  4943 4C45 533A 204E  %<LI>ARTICLES: N
>
> Totaling the Rclassic-httpdS heap at 020FCB6C
> The Rclassic-httpdS heap at 020FCB6C is bad
>  Block length is bad
> Block header
>  021246C4  0A3C 4C49 3E41 5254  4943 4C45 533A 204E  %<LI>ARTICLES: N

The crashes (8 recorded so far in macsbug logs) all occur within calls
to the cl-http function enumerate-normal-item (that is to say, it's
the topmost common function in the active process stack for each
crash).  I don't know how relevant that is since I do a lot of
enumerating in my application.  If it's a random thing chances are
pretty good it would happen during an enumeration.  Still, it's
something in common.

Is there any data I can collect that would be more meaningful?  Any
suggestions on how to deal with this?  This is a cry for help.

=====

Christopher Welty                         Vassar College Computer Science Dept.
weltyc@cs.vassar.edu                                     Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty                           (914) 437-5992