[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Java & Lisp

>Can someone who was at the Java and Lisp BOF at
>the Dynamic Objects workshop summarize the discussion about interoperation of
>Java and Lsp?

I wasn't at the BOF, but there are several good ways to interoperate
Java and Lisp.

One area is targeting Lisp to the Java VM.  There were several people saying
they were developing a Scheme for the Java VM last fall.  I don't know whether
there are any working implementations yet, but there will certainly be many
languages for the Java VM, and Scheme and Lisp will certainly be among them.

Another promising opportunity is implementing a compiling Java VM in Lisp.
I considered doing this myself for MCL (a more promising product than Dylan
IMHO) but while the VM could be done quite easily, the awt and other
libraries would require more time than I have available.

Java will have full CORBA support (the current implementation is not "standard"
but then the standard is a moving target anyway...).  So that is another
interoperaton approach.  I think that seamless high performance  support for
Java applications and applets in the the Lisp (or Scheme or Dylan or whatever
you choose) is a much more useful approach and will be important because many
web content handlers and servers will be distributed as Java code.

Jim
---
James P. White
jim@pagesmiths.com
Pagesmiths' home is www.pagesmiths.com
Pagesmiths is a Netscape Development Partner.