[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Keeping a connection up

I am experimenting with running a desktop web server on a 28.8 dial-in
connection. The problem is that the service provider is timing out the
connection if there are a few minutes with no activity on the line.

This problem can easily be solved simply by creating some network activity
with regular intervals. I have implemented a LISP process that every so
often do an open-tcp-stream, write a few bytes, and close the stream. This
does the job. However, my service provider (CERFnet) wasn't very happy
about getting their log files cluttered with my ad-hoc telnet requests.

I am thus looking for a less intrusive way to keep the connection up. Just
a "ping" should be enough. Does anybody have the lines of code necessarry
to perform ping?

-- Terje <Norderhaug.CHI@Xerox.com>
   http://www.ifi.uio.no/~terjen/
   Chat: http://terje.cerfnet.com/interaction$/chat/terje