[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

"HTML snipping" capability - anybody got one?

We all know about programs that allow you to capture and save an entire
page of HTML. Of course sometimes we don't want to capture the whole page,
but just a fragment, along with the URL to get back to the source.

If I were looking through a library of such fragments, of course I want the
text (and graphics if any) to look (roughly) the same as it did in the
original frame, modulo positioning and other vagaries of
HTML-page-painting.

The problem is that, highlighting and cutting the text from a Netscape
frame, you only get the _text_ on the clipboard, and none of the
formatting. If you think about it, clipping an arbitrary piece of text from
the frame is not enough to reconstruct the "look-and-feel" of the original
HTML - you might have highlighted the 2nd and 3rd bullets inside an <I> and
an <H2> tag - but the clipped text doesn't have any of that.

Get the idea? The APIs of the browsers are not polite enough to help at
all, as far as I know, so what's to be done?

Duplicate instances of the highlighted string is one issue among others,
but I'm not so worried about those. I want a function that will take a full
page of HTML source and a text fragment that might be highlighted from that
page, and produce stand-alone, valid HTML which when fed to a browser,
displays something that is recognizably like the highlighted original of
text and graphics.

Anyone who can help? Thanks -Pan