[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MCL Netscape Plugin?

>At 8:54 PM 6/30/96, zippy@ai.mit.edu wrote:

>Not possible anyway; plugins are Shared Libraries on the PPC and standalone
>code resources on the 68K Mac, neither of which can be developed in MCL.

But one could write a plugin which could provide some glue
between MCL and Netscape. One advantage of a plugin is
the possibility of handling a part of the browsers window.
Another one *could* be some kind tighter communication
between a browser and its plugin.

Right now CL-HTTP uses HTML (and VRML - see below) to generate
output. One way to extent this could be a Java library
that maps CLIM graphics to the web. It would be interesting
to bring CLIM concepts directly to the web. But I'm
not sure if this would make a plugin necessary.

>If anyone in the MCL community does decide to write a Netscape plugin, I'd
>be interested in hearing about it. Currently I'm working on the Mac-native
>versions of the Live3D VRML browser plug-in, which will be ready for
>general testing in a few weeks - monitor our newsgroup:
>snews://secnews.netscape.com/netscape.live3d

I'd be interested. We (John C. Mallery and I) just have written
a VRML generation macro library for use with CL-HTTP
(available with the latest devo version). My example
page with embedded VRML files keeps crashing my Netscape3.0b5
(using 20 MB RAM). I hope to write some more VRML
examples using CL-HTTP in the coming two weeks.

Mac-native means using QD3D?

Greetings from Hamburg,

Rainer Joswig

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2b, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 658088, Fax: +49 40 65808-202,
Email: joswig@lavielle.com , WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/