[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Collection for Tools/Technologies/Prolog/Lisp/AI/Web/Agents related links?

Hi there,

sometimes when surfing the web I (and sure others) stumble across
links that are related to the topic of this mailing
list.

Should we have a mailing list to announce new links? Should we
use this list (I would vote against it)?

Would anybody be interested to be on such a list?

I would say this one would be a candidate for being posted on the new
list:

http://www.cs.umd.edu/projects/plus/SHOE/

> [Image]
>
> SHOE
>
> Parallel Understanding Systems Group
> Department of Computer Science,
> University of Maryland at College Park
>
> SHOE stands for:
>
> Simple
> HTML
> Ontology
> Extensions
>
> SHOE is a proposed small extension to HTML which allows HTML authors
> to annotate their web documents with formal knowledge-representation
> semantics. SHOE is meant to make real intelligent agents on the web
> possible.
>
> HTML is primarily a display mechanism for human users; providing this
> displayed information in a meaningful, machine-readable way was an
> afterthought. And Natural Language Processing technology is still not
> sufficient to efficiently glean general, useful information from the
> body text of web pages. As a result, knowledge sources or agents on
> the web have generally been:
>
>    * Word-based (or phrase-based) search engines like Lycos or Excite.
>    * Painstaking human-made web catalogs like Yahoo.
>    * Simple resource-indexing mechanisms like Aliweb.
>    * Simple special-purpose web-crawlers to gather information like
>      statistics or link breakage.
>
> None of these works very well. For example, suppose that you are
> searching the web for the home pages of a Mr. and Mrs. Cook, whom you
> met at a conference last year. You don't remember their first names,
> but you do recall that both work for an employer associated with the
> massive ARPA funding initiative 123-4567. Using an existing man-made
> web catalog, you can find ARPA's home page but learn that hundreds of
> subcontractors and research groups are working on initiative 123-4567.
> Searching existing web indices for "Cook" yields thousands of pages
> about cooking, and searching for "ARPA" and "123-4567" provides you
> with hundreds and hundreds of hits about the popular initiative.
> Unfortunately, searching for all of them together yields nothing:
> apparently neither person lists the initiative on his or her web page.
> Just wandering through the Web on your own seems fruitless. What can
> you do?
>
> This scenario is common to many people on the World-Wide Web. A major
> problem with searching on the Web today is that data available on the
> Web has little semantic organization beyond simple structural
> arrangement of text, declared keywords, titles, and abstracts. As the
> Web expands exponentially in size, this lack of organization makes it
> very difficult to efficiently glean knowledge from the Web, even with
> state-of-the-art natural language processing techniques, index
> mechanisms, or the assistance of an army of data-entry workers
> assembling hand-made Web catalogs. In short, there is no effective way
> use the World-Wide Web to answer a query like:
>
> Find web pages for all  x, y, and z such that
> [...]

Greetings,

Rainer Joswig

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2b, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 658088, Fax: +49 40 65808-202,
Email: joswig@lavielle.com , WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/