[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Communications Between Frame Panes in Netscape

Causing changes to occur in sibling frames of the one that is clicked on
is pretty easy to do. The key is to target the parent frameset of the
submission frame. Some excellent examples are here:

http://www.newbie.net/frames/2ed/2.htm

> We just had a little discussion in our group about precisely this
> provide.
>
> The hypothesis is that there is Javascript voodoo that will allow
> you to do this by accessing the underly data structures but we have not
> identified a working path ourselves yet.

I haven't tried it in Javascript, but I suspect that the same technique
is applicable.

> Ari: Is there a recommended way to communicate (capture state)
> across frame panes? Typically, people want to get form state from
> the other panes and submit it.

Grabbing state from a frame other than the one that contains the submitted
item is pretty much prohibited by the transactional nature of HTTP.
AFAIK, there's no way to make a form span multiple frames. If that's what
you meant, then you'll indeed probably have to use some gnarly Java or
JScript to do it. The easiest way to do this might be to abandon frames
an emulate their behavior with a Java applet.

--
Shannon Spires
svspire@sandia.gov