[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: permissions to start server

>    Does anyone out there know how to set permissions so that you can
>    start cl-http as a non-root user?
>
> The HTTP port is 80, and UNIX just does not let non-root users bind
> ports below 1024.  There are several workarounds:

Another easy workaround is to have a lightweight server at port 80
(ie.e. Apache) and let that redirect everything to another port. The
same mechanisms could be used to redirect to another machine, possibly
behind a firewall.

Apache syntax:
Redirect / http://your.machine.com:8000/

The difference between this solution and a forwarder is that this one
let the user see the :8000 in any Url after the initial one, while a
forwareder make every Url transparent.

The only drawback is that this site will be couted as Apache site in
WWW server statistics, so please cheat the 'Server: ' HTTP response
header :-)

If you have a Unix system with source, the right solutions is of
course to disable that restriction for the ports you need (I don't
know of any software that needs to trust anything on port 80).

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>