[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: easier installation, etc

At 2:59 PM -0500 1997-01-11, Richard Lynch wrote:
>As a guy who had trouble starting the server and got real frustrated real
>fast by the boot-strapping of the server being the medium for docs...
>
>I gotta suggest a  stand-along text file of
>
>"Things that can go wrong in setting up the server, and how not to
>over-ride the documentation provided once it is running."

This is the idea of http:http;mac-read-me.text, but it is perhaps
a little spartan. Any specific suggestions would be appreciated and
should be sent to bug-mac-cl-http@ai.mit.edu

A troubleshooting guide is a good idea. We'll need to collect the pitfalls
and the solutions as people repot them.

>PS  I'm still wondering if (export-url :directory <www.me.com>) will
>over-ride or augment the cl-http delivery of computed web pages.

As Shannon Spires pointed out in a bug report, one can get an error
in 60.57 by redefining the export type of a url whose previous export involved
changing the class of the URL (Redirect => computed-url).  The workaround
is to first call unintern-url.

This bug has been fixed in 60.66

>PPS  In general, the documentation string on the functions in CL-HTTP are a
>little self-referential...

Yes, its no problem after you have memorized the source code. :-)
Actually, an important kind of bug report is unclear documentation,
If you spot any, the best way to report is to submit a revised
documentation string with a little explanation of the original
problem.