[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Believing in what you s

>Anyway, last I heard, Apache was the only one that would let you cheaply
>and easily set up virtual domains...

CL-HTTP can set up virtual domains, too.

>But the bozo telling me that probably doesn't even know about CL-HTTP.  So,
>does CL-HTTP let me create my own domains?  And, if so, how?  Answers in
>*REAL* simple language much appreciated.  I'm a lisp hacker, but the net
>stuff...
>
>I do understand that I would have to pay NIC $$$ and hijack my IP address
>from my corporation's ISP... wouldn't I?  But they're all kosher with that,
>more or less.
>
>I guess my real questions are:
>
>1)  After I pay NIC $$$, how do I inform the world that www.foo.com and
>www.bar.com and www.foobar.com all mean XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX?
>2)  How do I set up CL-HTTP so that it knows that it is www.foo.com etc,
>rather than lynch.lscorp.com?
>3)  What other questions was I too ignorant to ask?

If you want to setup more than one virtual domains, you need

- a machine with atleast one IP number (one IP-Number is enough)
  say, it is 194.64.62.55

- domains names pointing to your machine
  www.foo.com  -> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
  www.baz.net  -> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (same as above)

  For this you need an entry into the name service
  of these domains. Once the NIC gave the domains away they
  don't care about what machines are in the domain. This
  is the task of your provider of name service. In
  our company we have running our own name server and
  we can enter there what we want.

- see the documentation of CL-HTTP, for example:

 URL:EXPORT-URL
  8. Virtual Hosts: HTTP 1.1 requires a virtual hosting facility,
  which this server implements. You can define a virtual host (or
  vanity name) that will be served by the physical server from
  the same IP address. Any URIs served by a virtual host must be
  exported by specifying the absolute URI, including host and port
  number.  The #u reader macro may be useful here.  The following
  operators are available for use with virtual hosts:

     ADD-VIRTUAL-HOST: Adds a virtual host on a virtual port and
                       and makes URLs served by that host available
                       to HTTP 1.1 or greater clients.

     REMOVE-VIRTUAL-HOST: Makes the virtual host unavailable, but does
                          does not remove any URLs it exports.

So those who can read the documentation that comes with
CL-HTTP are having it a lot easier. I would just do on any CL system
with CL-HTTP loaded:

? (apropos "VIRTUAL")
  HTTP:ADD-VIRTUAL-HOST, Def: FUNCTION
  HTTP:ADD-VIRTUAL-HOST-NICK-NAME, Def: FUNCTION
  HTTP:CLEAR-VIRTUAL-HOSTS, Def: FUNCTION
   URL:HTTP-VIRTUAL-OBJECT
  HTTP:REMOVE-VIRTUAL-HOST, Def: FUNCTION
  CCL::SP-CREOLE-VIRTUAL-FUNCTION
 HTTP::UNKNOWN-VIRTUAL-HOST
      :VIRTUAL,  Value: :VIRTUAL
 HTTP::VIRTUAL-HOST-LOCAL-CONTEXT, Def: FUNCTION
HTTP::*VIRTUAL-HOST-TABLE*,  Value: #<HASH-TABLE :TEST EQUALP size 0/60 #x263BCD6>
 HTTP::WITH-VIRTUAL-HOST-LOCAL-CONTEXT, Def: MACRO FUNCTION

? (princ (documentation 'HTTP:ADD-VIRTUAL-HOST 'function))
Adds a virtual host named, DOMAIN-NAME, on port, PORT.

  The server will then server the vanity name, DOMAIN-NAME, as if it were an
  independent host.  URLs for the virtual host can be exported with the #u
  reader macro, but you must specify the host and port explicitly using the
  extended syntax for #u.  For example,

  (add-virtual-host "www.ai.mit.edu" 8000)

  (export-url #u("/cl-http/" :host "www.ai.mit.edu" :port 8000)
              :directory
              :recursive-p t
              :pathname "http:www;cl-http;")

              Note that the virtual host should have an entry in the
              Internet Domain Name
              System that points at ip address of the physical server.

It works, I have tested it on my PowerBook.

Rainer Joswig

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2b, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 658088, Fax: +49 40 65808-202,
Email: joswig@lavielle.com , WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/