[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pork addicts are pathetic losers

Hmm, we haven't seen the likes of Mozart in, what, about two hundred
years? I guess we need to return to an absolute monarchy if we expect
musical genius at that level to reach an audience. (end sarcasm)

I don't believe anyone here has supported the silly view that
"government is all bad." That's certainly not true. For example, the
police could, with substantial reformations, have a net-positive
impact on the protection of individual rights. The national defense is
not optional. In any area where unchecked market dynamics progress
inexhorably toward massive catastrophe, and specifically ragarding
aspects of ecology, and acceleration of the evolution of infectious
diseases through widespread abuse of antibiotics, a regulatory agency
within the government is necessary.

On the other hand, your observation that totalitarian regimes have the
capacity and habit of patronizing artists and scientists at their
whimsy, seems quite irrelevant. Most ethicists, social theorists, and
residents at large, ardently disagree with your apparent view that the
rewards of autocratic, largely unrestrained totalitarianism outweight
its failings.

In the twentieth century, successful capitalists can and do serve the
role of the royalty of yore, patronizing artists at their whimsy, and
they do so without stealing the money in the first place.

If you think it makes sense to steal money from everybody, then spend
that money as only a few want it spent, and often over the expressed
disapproval of those whose money was stolen, then we'll be on opposite
sides of the next war.

-Daniel Pouzzner
 System Architect