[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cache on Powermac 8500, good for CL-http?

At 3:14 PM -0500 1997-03-05, CHRISTOPHER ELIOT wrote:
>I'm using a PM 8500 primarily to run CL-HTTP. Currently I have
>48 meg RAM and 64 meg additional is on order.
>
>Would upgrading the cache memory be a good idea, given that
>CL-HTTP is my primary application. (I also run Netscape.)

Depending on what you're doing, a mac is IO bound by the OS.
I would devote a good a couple of megabytes to the disk cache.

GCs are pretty swift when you don't use virtual memory and you have
a fast ppc machine.

>On the subject of hardware, what is the best machine to run
>CL-HTTP on, for development and as a production server?

PPC 604e machines, like 9600 or Powercomputing are good and
zippy. Considerable work has been going into the TCP layer so
it should be quite impressive in the next major cl-http release.

Windows NT will come into its own as Franz and Harlequin release their
new multithreaded lisps on the platform. My understanding is that
TCP and server performance is not quite good enough to finish off
UNIX.

For serious web serving the UNIX workstations still dominate
the performance market, despite OS design shortcomings and security
problems.

>I may have a big DEC Alpha three processor machine available
>as a production server. Would this be nice?

Yes. But, I don't know how to take advantage of the multiple processors
right now. You could run UNIX on one and Lisp on another. You will probably do
better to have a higher clock rate and more memory.

A dec alpha running at 300-500 mhz with plenty of memory probably makes
the fastest server. You can run Franz or Harlequin on it.

A lisp machine is the best development environment. Open Genera 2
will be available for the dec alpha soon.

The powerbook 3400 should be a fine development machine if you're
interested in portability.