This year's bake-off will be similar in style to last year's, which was
a delicious success, with Olympians baking up a storm of
This event will have lots of point potential, so get your team organized and get yerselves into the kitchen! If you are too intimidated by measuring cups and mixing bowls, but you like desserts, be a judge! (good for 1 participation point) make sure you at least come by to sample the treats before the party.
- Each category will have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, with 4, 3, and 2 points respectively.
- All other entries will receive 1 participation point, unless there are multiple entries by one person (see rules below).
- Items made from mixes will receive a 1/2 participation point.
In addition to the points scored for each category, there will also be 4 overall prizes:
- Best of show - 10 points
- Nerdiest/most humorous - 8 points
- Best traditional/classic - 8 points
- Most original - 8 points
The winning team will be determined by the final totals of the points awarded.
Now for the rules:
- All entries must be sweet desserts. Breads will qualify only if they are dessert breads.
- All entries must be homemade. Non-homemade items (pie shells, ice cream, etc) may be used only if they are incorporated into the main homemade item.
- There is no limit to the number of entries per team, or per person. However, to encourage participation, we will be scoring thusly:
Scoring per person will be by 1/fib(n), starting the Fibonacci series at 1, not 0. Thus:entry score --------------- 1st 1/1 2nd 1/1 3rd 1/2 4th 1/3 5th 1/5 etc.So, if 5 people on your team enter 1 item each, your team will get 5 points, but if one person enters 5 items, your team will get just over 3 points. So get cookin'! :)
- The decisions of the judges and commissioner are final - bickering will incur the wrath of the kitchen gods and cause penalties to fall upon the heads of the unfortunate team who argue! (10 point deduction)
I hope this is all clear - judging will be blind, of course. In order to expedite the judging, you may start bringing your entries to be registered to the 8th floor at 5:30PM on Saturday, January 31st. Entries must be received by 6:45PM, please, so we have time to judge and then enjoy the fruits (fruit cakes?) of our labor!
If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Good luck, and may the best baker win!
3-6693, rm 711