Next: Use of Documents Up: Results Previous: Secondary redistribution

Recipient demographics

The primary recipients of the electronic publications are predominantly male (80%) group of young adults and baby boomers, concentrated in colleges and universities, federal government and high tech companies. They are highly educated - than 50%have a post graduate degree. 90%live in the United states, with almost all states represented, but with noticeable concentrations in California and the Washington DC area (including Maryland and Virginia). The other 10%are in 26 foreign countries, with Germany, Japan, Canada, Norway and Israel, particularly well represented.

The breakout for self-reported affiliation is

These figures, however, understate the affiliation of respondents with universities and government as reflected in the count of EDU (800), GOV and MIL (165 combined) domains in their addresses. The difference is probably due to people regarding their use of the documents as private activities relevant to their own interests rather than work or studies. Commercial-customers have a slightly higher age profile and lower educational profile than regular customers. This is due to the much larger percent of university staff, faculty and students in the latter group.
Sun Jun 5 21:21:16 EDT 1994