What's The Hacker working on now ?
- Majorly expanding CAMlib. This library will be the basis for the
CAM8 programming environment. All programs written for use with CAM8
will use CAMlib. I hope to include facilities for data visualization
and analysis as well. In the future new releases of the CAM8
programming environment will mostly involve upgrades to CAMlib. Older
applications will only have to relinked to take advantage of the new
- Coding a version of STEP written in Python. This will rely
heavily on CAMlib for lowlevel access to CAM8 and speedy
implementations of the most common stuff. I'm using SWIG to embed CAMlib
in a Python interpreter.
- Making XCAM faster and more efficient as well as providing the
ability to save images in more formats (GIF, JPEG, TIFF etc) and
generate MPEG 2 movie streams on the fly.
- Writing all sorts of detailed documentation for all the
above... shiver :-(
What are some possibilities for the future ?
- Writing a multitasking micro-kernel for CAM8 so many users can
timeshare one CAM8 machine.
- Writing cam8d so people can connect to CAM8 through a net
connection. This will let people customize their programming
environment as they wish and hide the details of controlling the
hardware behind a well defined, network based interface.
You might also want to check out....
- The latest developments regarding