Mokusei: Language Understanding
Parse query into meaning representation
- Uses same NL system (TINA) as for English
- Top-down parsing strategy with trace mechanism
- Probability model automatically trained
- Chooses best hypothesis from proposed word graph
Japanese grammar contains
- >900 unique nonterminals
- Nearly 2,500 vocabulary items
Translation file maps Japanese words to English equivalent
Produces same semantic frame (i.e., meaning representation) as for English inputs
- We want to use the same NL component for Japanese as we use for English.
- Top-down parsing may not at first seem appropriate for a left-recursive language such as Japanese.
- However, the trace mechanism can be used to solve the problems