Mokusei: Language Generation Using Genesis
Used English language generation tables as template
Modified ordering of constituents
Provided translation lexicon for >4,000 words
- Prepositions had to be marked for role: in_loc, in_time
- Multiple meanings for some other words: e.g., “well inland”
- Complex sentences presented difficulties for constituent ordering
A new version of GENESIS is being developed to support finer control of constituent ordering
- For language generation we use the GENESIS system.
- GENESIS is controlled by generation templates and a translation lexicon.
- Japanese phrase order is very different from English, and therefore presents major challenges
- In a few cases, we had to alter the frame representation
- Our efforts for Japanese have inspired us to redesign GENESIS.