[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Thought on CGI & CL-HTTP

>An export type for invoking standard MAC CGI scripts is a high
>priority for the MAC CL-HTTP and has been on the list of recommend
>coding projects for sometime now.
>
> *** This would be a really useful contribution if some cares to hack
>up an applescript CGI export method.
>
>The goal would be to be able to run any CGI script written for other
>servers. There is a contribution in the MCL FTP directory for
>invoking Apple scripts from MCL and it has been updated for MCL 3.0.
>To implement this, one would specializethe comput ed-url class and
>provide a method for invoking the script and capturing the returns.
>A new export method would also be needed.

Well, almost. The proper way to do this has nothing to do with Apple
scripts. It involves sending an SDOC Appleevent to the CGI
application the same way that  WebSTAR does. It would take about a
page of code. (WebSTAR can also invoke "raw" textual Applescript, but
the performance here is so bad that it's very rarely used for
serious CGI work, so I think CL-HTTP could safely ignore this
mechanism.)

--
Shannon Spires
svspire@sandia.gov