[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Web Flogger C Code & CL-HTTP Performance

  Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 05:24:10 -0400
  To: www-cl@ai.mit.edu
  From: "John C. Mallery" <JCMA@ai.mit.edu>
  Subject: Web Flogger C Code & CL-HTTP Performance
  Sender: owner-www-cl@ai.mit.edu

  ftp://ftp.ai.mit.edu/pub/users/rst/monkey.c

  This file contains C code for UNIX  to stress test a Web server.  It can be
  used in conjunction
  with Lisp metering tools to improve the performance of CL-HTTP.  The
  flogger works by replaying common log format log files and making requests
  of a server a specified rate.

  This tool was written by Robert Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu).  Further documentation
  is available by scanning the www-talk archives.

  If some finds the documentation, we should put up a page on how to use the tool.

  Anyone who cares to do some metering work on the server can help us improve
  the performance in terms of speed and consing on the various platforms.

We'll i'm only getting started, but i'd be glad to help out with
performance.  One thing i did notice is that the software contains a lot of
(declaim (inline ...))

These are fine, but they are ignored by Allegro 4.2, don't ask me why.  I
have "solved" this by writing a define-inline macro.

  Initially, we may find ways to improve the performance of the Lisps, especially
  the thread packages and the network interfaces.