[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Web Servers Survey, version 1.0

At 6:26 PM 8/31/95, Terje Norderhaug wrote:
>At 7:56 PM 8/31/95, www-servers@proper.com (WWW server FAQ by way of
>JCMA@ai.mit.ed wrote:
>>Many people ask "Which Web server software is the most popular?" The best
>>way to find out is to directly survey the thousands of Web sites using HTTP
>>commands. The results of a recent extensive, scientific survey of this type
>>can be found at:
>><http://www.proper.com/www/servers-survey.html>
>
>The random sample used in this study includes roughly 8% of the servers in
>the Yahoo database. However, NONE of the servers in this poll is CL-HTTP,
>suggesting that there are very few active servers out there. So, how many
>CL-HTTP servers are currently up running?

Well, we run five all the time at the AI lab.  One does the publications
searches
for the white house documents and another is used by our group. The third
provides the brains behind our wide-area collaboration system. Two other ones
interface a natural language question answering system to the net and the
sponsors.
Various people in the project run servers on MACs or Lisp machines in the
course of
their research. We are now starting to be able to run CL-HTTP under
LispWorks on our
DEC Alpha.  There are some other network researchers around MIT running
this server as well.

There are a number of companies running the server but I will let them
speak if the
so desire.

Bear in mind that CL-HTTP is only now becoming available on platforms other than
the lisp machine.  I expect we will see more users this fall.