[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Uploading of files to the CL-HTTP server - how to?

At 1:36 PM 11/14/95, Rainer Joswig wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>can some kind soul give me an idea how to present
>a page with a file chooser button (this should be possible
>using Netscape 2.0) and how to upload (what is the
>right term, "post" or "put"?) the file to the server.

There are basically two ways.  You can post info from a form and have
your response function write files etc. You can put files on the server if you
enable put and use the lisp client to do it.  The PUT method for HTTP is kind of
broken until http 1.1, but if you have a client that implements it, you can roll
back the cl-http PUT from 1.1 to 1.0  File upload is starting to be implemented by
clients such as netscape but nobody has implemented it for cl-http yet.  The
specification will be in the standards directory http:standards; in release 47.5

>I would like to write an administration page for certain
>pages, where I can update and reread the data files.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Another question: John mentioned ILU. As I understand
>ILU would have to be ported to the Mac and to the Symbolics,
>right? What for could be ILU used in context of a HTTP
>server. I just read that some Apache guy is using ILU.
>But what for could it be used. I'm a little bit
>clueless on this one.

ILU provides a distributed object framework that allows you to
apply methods to objects over the network.  It is one of the better
offerings in the distributed object world, often known as CORBA --
Common Object Request Broker.

ILU has already run on the MAC and there is a new version coming out soon.

HTTP-NG is building on ILU as well.

You can use the interface specficiation schemes to hide a particular database
back end.

You can use them to develop multiple language, networked systems.

ILU has implementations for Common Lisp, Java, python, modula 3, C, and C++

Hope this helps.