[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More on the 9500

>Grrrr.  I'd be interested in hearing other 9500 experiences.
>
>My system won't run for more than a few minutes.  I'm doing some
>testing now to see if I can be more specific.  Basically I've got the
>9500 running MCL 3.0 with patch 2 and kernel patch 1 and the latest
>cl-http and another package (classic 2.2) as a saved application which
>has been allocated 60MB.  I'm using mactcp 2.0.6 instead of the
>openlink stuff, and the modern memory manager is disabled.
>
>After several http accesses the mac hangs such that only a hard reset
>will bring it back.
>
>=====
>
>Christopher Welty                         Vassar College Computer Science Dept.
>weltyc@cs.vassar.edu                                     Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
>http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty                           (914) 437-5992

Do you run the client on the same machine? Is it Netscape?

If yes, try running the client on a different machine.

You may want to use Netscape2.0b3 - it seems to be more stable.

Has your MCL enough Mac heap? Try using more. You can specify the
heap size when saving an image or using Resedit (change the LSIZ resource,
"Initial Mac Heap minimum size" and "Initial Mac Heap maximum size").
I had to change the values in my image, because I was getting
"growzone" garbage collections.

Tell Digitool about your problems. For PowerPC MCL we will need
an native OpenTransport interface. MacTCP is obsolete and the
MacTCP.lisp seems not very safe with a multi-threaded MCL.
I'm not an expert on this, but I would insert *some* locks into
MacTCP.lisp.

Rainer Joswig

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2ab, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 65808-0, Fax: +49 40 65808-202, Email:joswig@lavielle.com,
WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/, Tel. (priv): +49 40 7355522