[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Java / Java on the Mac in January / JavaScript

At 9:11 PM 12/1/95, Andrew Moreno wrote:
>On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, John C. Mallery wrote:
>> At 6:36 PM 12/1/95, Andrew Moreno wrote:
>
>Most programmers use C and C++.
>I've read that there are things Lisp programmers can do with Lisp that are
>impossible to do with C or C++.

Theoretically, you can do everything in C that you can do in LISP, since
you can implement a LISP interpreter in C if you like (I know, I spent a
fall of my young days on making a CL interpreter in C ;-) However, in real
life, there are just a lot of projects that are feasible in LISP but a pain
to do in C, thus making them practically impossible if you have chosen the
*wrong* language.

>> the useful thing about it is that you can tell the client what to do.  A
>> Scheme or Lisp plug-in to Netscape on all platforms would be a better
>> target, but you work with what everyone has got.

Let's keep that one open for the longer perspective. As the public get some
more memory on their computers a LISP plug-in would hit hard with the
worlds best programmers making the services ;-)

-- Terje <Norderhaug.CHI@Xerox.com>
   <URL:http://www.ifi.uio.no/~terjen/>