[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Symbolic Computation Questions

Hi,

One thing I read is that we are entering the age of the "symbolic worker".
I also read that these Oracle web PC's are based on the concept of "the
network is the computer".

If a future programmer does symbolic computation using the network as the
computer, which basically means they don't have to deal with memory
allocation,etc. (I think this is called process and data encapsulation),
why would they want to use a C++ variant (Java) which forces them to deal
with implementation issues?

If the industry is moving from the present set-up of large, bloated
operating systems on individual PC's to numerous, widely distributed
stripped down "Web" PC's for content "consumers" along with hypermedia
servers for content "creators", what do you think the language of choice
on these hypermedia servers will be? Lisp? What other languages can be
used on these hypermedia servers?

Do you think that content creators will shift from using mainly C/C++ to
languages that allow process/data encapsulation (CLOS, etc.)?

[John McCarthy, what is the operating system you want running on that
"dream machine" you listed on your web pages? You alread said that a lot
of what you are doing and have done would be impossible in other
languages - C/C++.

What do you think the people doing symbolic computation on these
hypermedia servers will have as criteria for the servers they use, the
languages they program in, the projects they take on? What are your
criteria for using CL-HTTP, Lisp, and the projects you take on?

Does anyone know a more appropriate place to hash out ideas? I am sort of
a novice programmer and I am not sure I know exactly what I'm talking
about. :)

Someone asked me if I was going to present a paper to a conference... Do
I have to be a tenured academic to present a paper?

PS Does anyone know if MIT allows people to audit courses there? I don't
have the grades to get into MIT and it's going to take me a while before
I can get those grades, but I'd like to take Gerald Sussman's Intro to
Computer Science using SICP. Maybe I should just learn it on my own and
plan to go there for grad school. :)

Andrew Moreno
amoreno@broken.ranch.org