[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Simple "chat" facility

When I was in the office and my work mates were demoing at
MacWorld, I had a few times when I wanted to contact them.
I could have sent mail, but I wasn't sure they would bother
to read it. I wanted a message to appear on their screen.
I didn't get it done in time for MacWorld, but I spent a
few of hours yesterday and this morning and cobbled up
something that does the trick. It currently works only
in MCL. The only storage is a Fred window (though I could
easily save that window to a file). The nice thing about it
is that anyone using the machine will notice messages as
they come in. It's definitely a quick hack, but it got
me started on using CL-HTTP and was fun.

Give it a whirl at http://bitcraft.digitool.com/chat.html.

To see the source code: ftp://bitcraft.digitool.com/

Has anyone else done something like this in CL-HTTP?
If not, are people interested in a more full-featured version?
A portable version?

I won't be able to work on it in any but my copious spare time,
but I'll likely get stuff done slowly.

I noticed that the CL-HTTP server works fine with Netscape and
Internet Explorer, but CyberDog gets an "unknown error" on any
attempt to access a computed URL, be it my chat facility or one
of the CL-HTTP examples.