[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Believing in what you sell...

>Answers?
>On investigation, though, I found that these were all actually the same
>server (Synergy Enterprises, www.se1.com, 204.216.182.1, apparently a
>PowerMac), with the exception of http://interaction.in-progress.com/.
>Or, to put it differently, it appears that in the whole world, only two
>organisations are prepared to bet their Web-sites on cl-http... both,
>incidentally on Macintosh CL.

I have http://www.als.de/ on a MacIvory 3 Lispm. My other MacIvory 3
often runs CL-HTTP, too. I'm using CL-HTTP on my PowerBook with
Macintosh Common Lisp a lot. In my spare time (not much these
days) I'm doing some VRML stuff. This is real fun. CL-HTTP
on MCL is getting better every day, thanks to John Mallery, Digitool and all
the CL-HTTP users.

>This worries the *hell* out of me. I am evaluating cl-http on UN*X,
>currently with Franz Allegro 4.3. I'm frankly having some difficulty
>getting it going (but mainly, I think, because I find the documentation
>extremely opaque). But if I'm the only person in the world running a
>commercial cl-http on UN*X? I don't mind swimming against the tide, but
>that's ridiculous!

We (Lavielle) will run CL-HTTP on Unix, too. Once we get another UltraSPARC
and a Lisp system for it, it will sure run CL-HTTP. I promise.

We also have started a two year project with
the local AI lab to develop some cool stuff
based on CL-HTTP. We are very excited about this.
Eventually this could/should lead to a product.

>begin to understand it (hell, I've only got twelve years of professional
>LISP and three years of professional Web service).

;-)

Well, you need to understand CL - HTTP and
HTML knowledge would be *very* nice, too.

EXPORT-URL should get you started. You also need to do choose some settings
for basic stuff like host name, etc. Once more people are using
CL-HTTP on Unix (shudder), this will get more painless.
Just read the examples. You can't expect to understand CL-HTTP
in a day (dare I say W3P?) - it has simply to many features. Sure you can
serve static pages easy with CL-HTTP, but this is not the
point.

I learned a bit of CL-HTTP - enough that I could develop
a web site with it - you sure could do it, too.

The really exciting thing is that CL-HTTP gives you ultra *portable*
code. The web is your user interface. I can move
my code from the Lisp machine to the Mac and back
without much problems.

Rainer Joswig

Rainer Joswig, Lavielle EDV Systemberatung GmbH & Co, Lotharstrasse 2b, D22041
Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 658088, Fax: +49 40 65808-202,
Email: joswig@lavielle.com , WWW: http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig/