[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multi-threading vs. Multi-processing?

At 1:53 AM +0100 1997-02-15, Rainer Joswig wrote:

>One possibility would be to use an active, distributed CLOS database.
>You could run application code in the distributed database.
>The database will for example do query optimization and
>see on which node it should process the query on, etc.
>So if your code is based on a distributed CLOS model,
>you can add processors/images.

Any idea how far Ithasca is from this?

>But for the core CL-HTTP it might be cool to have it running
>on a multiprocessor Lisp technology (Top-Level CL, ABCL,
>Paralation Lisp, *Lisp, ...).

Are any of these supported today?

I have a copy of paralation lisp lying around some where and even
a CM5 -- but I can't imagine the network IO could keep up.

>ILU is a another thing.

Yes, we should get some integration with ILU this year on most platforms
so that we can play the distributed object game. ILU is pretty well supported
on Allegro. There was a port to LispWorks but I don't know if it is current.
There was also a port to the mac, but it has not been upgraded beyond MCL 2.0.
There is now a new version of ILU 2.0. Bringing it up on a lisp does not look
to hard, and so we are hoping some students will bring up some ports and do
a couple of interesting applications.

Follow-Ups: References: