The BIG Picture: User Selected Viewing of Sporting Events.
- show me that play from the viewpoint of the goalie
- Ö from the viewpoint of the ball
- Ö from a viewpoint along the sideline
- what offensive plays does Brazil run from this formation
- how often has Italy had possession in the offensive zone
Here is the motivation behind our project.
Imagine telecasting a world cup soccer game. This is clearly straightforward. But now imagine that a viewer could custom design how he views the game. He might ask for things like
- I want to see that play from the viewpoint of the goaltender
- I want to see that play from the viewpoint of the ball
- I want to see that play from a viewpoint along the sideline (was it offside?)
- I want to know how often Brazil plays in this formation, and what offensive plays they run from this formation
- I want to know what percentage of the time Italy has held possession, and what percentage was in the offensive zone
Allowing a viewer to custom design the viewpoints and information he gets about the event allows him to maximize his individual enjoyment of that event.