[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Applications of CL-HTTP

I have been working for a while on using knowledge representation to
make library "card catalogs" more intelligent, and it seemed that the
web was a far trendier application so I am shifting my emphasis to
that.

The project with the new emphasis is called Untangle.  You can look at
it at http://untangle.cs.vassar.edu

The project is in its infancy, so there's not much there, plus there
is a bug in MCL on the powermac 7100 that prevents multiple streams to
the server, so sometimes you don't get everything to load, and
obviously only one client at a time can interact with the server.

One partly humorous but partly serious thing I've noticed about
cl-http is that it HIDES garbage collection.  When MCL garbage
collects, the client says "host contacted, waiting for connection" or
"transferring data" (never, "server garbage collecting").  Why, you
may ask, is this relevant?  Because when people see those messages
they naturally blame "network traffic" or some other non-GC thing.

=====

Christopher Welty                         Vassar College Computer Science Dept.
weltyc@cs.vassar.edu                                     Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty                           (914) 437-5992