[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Crash-O-Rama in cl-http - Addendum

On Fri, 19 Jan 1996 22:48:49 -0500, Paul Pangaro wrote:

>I meant to add that sometimes after the crashes I run Norton, and often
>find a "Major" error there. I fix that in Norton (sometimes verifying that
>it is fixed), run cl-http again with Netscape, get the crash, and I find
>the same error in the same disk record.

I've been running cl-http 53-7 on a mac 9500, and I've been able to reduce
unrecoverable system crashes from about 5 a day to less than one.  Taking
the steps that John outlined should help a lot.  The biggest difference
occured when I stopped running Netscape on the same machine.  This may not
be possible for you to do, but at least stay away from the beta stuff.
I've found it to be pretty ustable on all three operating systems I've
tried.  If you have a very unstable system, maybe try a lighter weight
client for debugging your application.  Another culprit has been appleshare.
I sometimes lose when someone tries to get a file from my machine
over ethertalk.

Christopher Vincent
cvince@ai.mit.edu