[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Crash-O-Rama in cl-http on the 9500

I have been running cl-http on a mac 9500 for quite some time.  Tons
of problems.  The (*&^%(* thing has never really worked right.  After
a ridiculous amount of wasted time, I have got my machine to a point
where it stays up a modest amount of time.  Still nowhere near what it
should be.  My advise to people who have asked is stay away from the
new pci-based macs.  My stuff ran fine on the 7100, but that was in
September, I don't remember what version of cl-http it was.

Right now I have 53-7.  It hasn't worked with any version, tho.

The crashes I get are either total hangs - loss of mouse movement,
cursor stops blinking, only a ctrl-cmd-power will get it back - or
unimplemented traps - number 13, as I recall.

I still get them, though the frequency has been reduced, it used to
happen after several minutes of serving http.  Now it only seems to
happen after a period of inactivity (making me suspect the powersaver
stuff, but it's off as far as I can rell).

Here are some things I have done:

Turn off MMM.  You can't even run MCL with this on anyway.
Remove the TCP/IP Control Panel, install MacTcp 2.0.6
Turn off all enery saving crap.
Turn off virtual memory.
Give MCL a lot of memory, but NOT more than the largest block of free
  memory indicated by  "About this macintosh".  Leave about 10% free.
  I have found it crashes quickly if you take all the memory.
With resedit, double the size of the LSIZ heap-related resources.
  I doubled them all, not sure if that's necessary.

I'm pretty sure the problem has something to do with memory.  Right
now I'm running the gc-thermometer to see if I notice anything
interesting the next time it crashes.  I suspect that it may be a
memory problem in the tcp interface or mactcp itself, not in the
cl-http or my code.

I also strongly suspect there is more than one problem, which would
explain why it seems so problematic.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has gotten further.

=====

Christopher Welty                         Vassar College Computer Science Dept.
weltyc@cs.vassar.edu                                     Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
http://www.cs.vassar.edu/faculty/welty                           (914) 437-5992