[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Is there a utility available for drawing GIF?

Mark and others,

John mentioned that our work at SRI enables you to output to gif.  You
don't actually need to be running our CWEST server in order to use it,
but it currently works with Allegro only -- the folks at Franz did
substantial work with us to get this working and fast enough for
real-time (i.e. web speeds) gif creation.  It uses Thomas Boutell's gd
C library to create the gifs.

We use the Allegro CLIM macro WITH-OUTPUT-TO-PIXMAP to create a pixmap
from CLIM output, and then call our function:

(pixmap-to-gif <pixmap> <gif-file>)

to write the pixmap to a gif file.  You can read about and download
CWEST (which contains other pieces that you won't need, and also the
gd library, augmented by us with a single new function) at
http://www.ai.sri.com/~pkarp/clim-www/tool.html.  Look at the file
gd.lisp in the lisp directory (you will also need some of the foreign
function definitions found in ffload.lisp).

I hope this is useful.  If you are not using ACL, maybe you can bug
Digitool or Harlequin or whoever to help do something similar.

Suzanne Paley
SRI International