[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Believing in what you s

At 4:59 PM 2/13/97, Richard Lynch wrote:

>Anyway, last I heard, Apache was the only one that would let you cheaply
>and easily set up virtual domains...
>
>But the bozo telling me that probably doesn't even know about CL-HTTP.  So,
>does CL-HTTP let me create my own domains?  And, if so, how?  Answers in
>*REAL* simple language much appreciated.  I'm a lisp hacker, but the net
>stuff...
>
>I do understand that I would have to pay NIC $$$ and hijack my IP address
>from my corporation's ISP... wouldn't I?  But they're all kosher with that,
>more or less.
>
>I guess my real questions are:
>
>1)  After I pay NIC $$$, how do I inform the world that www.foo.com and
>www.bar.com and www.foobar.com all mean XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX?

This is taken care of by the Domain Server of your corporation. When you
register your domain name, Internic will request that you provide the IP
for a domain server and a backup domain server. These domain servers will
let the world know that your host names map to the specific IP number of
the computer where you run the server.

>2)  How do I set up CL-HTTP so that it knows that it is www.foo.com etc,
>rather than lynch.lscorp.com?

If you just have one domain, CL-HTTP will look this up itself with the
domain servers at startup time so you don't really have to bother. For
multiple domains, you will have to create Virtual domains in CL-HTTP and
direct an export of a URL to be in a particular domain. The exact details
in how to do this is somewhat documented, but somebody else better fill in
the details as I haven't set up a virtual domain yet myself with cl-http.

-- Terje <Terje@in-Progress.com>
   Media Design in*Progress

   Make your Web Site a Social Place with Interaction!
   http://interaction.in-progress.com