[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Believing in what you s

At 7:59 PM -0500 1997-02-13, Richard Lynch wrote:
>>The wonderful thing about lisp and CL-HTTP at the moment is that we have
>>the world's most talented users. I'd trade that any day for the teaming
>>hoards
>>using Apache.
>
>On a good day, http://lynch.lscorp.com/ is running cl-http, but I'm doing
>some web building the other day involving CD-quality sound, and I can't run
>CL-HTTP and the tools for that at the same time.
>
>Anyway, last I heard, Apache was the only one that would let you cheaply
>and easily set up virtual domains...

BS. Apache is primitive, but not quite as primitive as the alternatives.
Robert Thau, a grad student at our Lab, put considerable work into Apache
to make it quite code as far as standard stuff goes.

>But the bozo telling me that probably doesn't even know about CL-HTTP.  So,
>does CL-HTTP let me create my own domains?  And, if so, how?

Of course,

http://wilson.ai.mit.edu/cl-http/show-documentation?HTTP:ADD-VIRTUAL-HOST

see also: http://wilson.ai.mit.edu/cl-http/find-documentation?HTTP:VIRTUAL-HOST

Netscape  from version 2.0 forward implements the host header which is
how this works.

All http 1.1 implementations provide virtual hosts. Your Apache weanie, unlike
the IETF HTTP Working Group, doesn't realize that CL-HTTP was the first 1.1
web server back in August and that the Apache people had it available for testing
from then forward. The W3C linemode browser and Jigsaw were debugged using
CL-HTTP.

>Answers in
>*REAL* simple language much appreciated.  I'm a lisp hacker, but the net
>stuff...

Yea, it might be worth reading the http 1.1 spec in http:standards;.
You'll find that gives you a good model of what is going on

>I do understand that I would have to pay NIC $$$ and hijack my IP address
>from my corporation's ISP... wouldn't I?  But they're all kosher with that,
>more or less.

You with virtual hosts you can serve multiple domain names from the same
IP address, BUT you should own the domain name in order to avoid name collisions.

The big win of virtual host is that it stops people from consuming IP addresses
for vanity host names -- and IP addresses are scarce because the IETF group
that set up the internet used 32 bits rather than 64 -- which was recommended
in advance by a scientist at our lab.

>I guess my real questions are:
>
>1)  After I pay NIC $$$, how do I inform the world that www.foo.com and
>www.bar.com and www.foobar.com all mean XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX?
You have your name server answer DNS queries for your name, give your IP address,
and any other info you care to associate with the name. Typically your ISP
takes are of this for you, so you'll need to talk to them.

>2)  How do I set up CL-HTTP so that it knows that it is www.foo.com etc,
>rather than lynch.lscorp.com?

See URLs above.

>3)  What other questions was I too ignorant to ask?

I think you got them all. :-)