[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Multi-threading vs. Multi-processing?

At 12:07 PM -0500 1997-02-20, Randy Sims wrote:
>"John C. Mallery" <JCMa@ai.mit.edu> writes:
>
>> >The ANSI lisp standard needs some extensions, one of which is
>> >a simple process model.  It would be clever if that process model
>> >was multiprocessor aware since there is hardly a platform today
>> >that does not offer multiple processors.
>>
>> It looks like multiprocessor versions of Java are coming along.
>>
>> http://www.sun.com:80/solaris/products/javavm/
>
>So (heretically speaking), should we putting our efforts into Java
>servers like "Jigsaw" ...
>
>	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Jigsaw/

If we want to hack in pre-1970s programming languages,
this might be an option.

The fact is that we would like something better than Common Lisp,
not worse.

>and Lisp-family languages built on Java like "Kawa" ...
>
>	http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner/kawa.html

I understand that there are design problems with the JavaVM that
will cause languages with multimethods and good GC algorithms to
take order of magnitude performance hits.

The answer is that Common Lisp needs to continue evolving
just as it has for 40 years, That means the vendors and the
research community need to get motivated and get rolling.
User demand will stir vendors to action as will key money
making applications.

Perhaps some vendors can speak to this issue.