Topics of Interest to the Group
As Coco becomes a fully functioning creature, some of the topics we hope to investigate will be the following:
- Biologically based models of emotions.
- Use of accepted experimental methodologies to compare a robot with biologically based models of emotion to lab animals.
- Use of a developmental progression to aid some types of learning.
- How to use Coco's body and walking style to make Coco more expressive when interacting with people.
- Acquire a better understanding of how a robot can engage in intelligent and enjoyable social interactions with people.
- Compact series elastic actuators for improved force control
- Learning limb dynamics in order to achieve robust and flexible motion control of the limbs,
- Learning hand-eye coordination.
- Awareness of Coco's own body.
- Advanced mappings between Coco and other creatures, including humans, as tools to aid learning, empathy and communication.
- Autonomous investigation of the environment as a method of learning common sense.
- A medial axis methods for machine vision.